25 August 2010

distant memories

it's really disheartening when people I know become people I knew. to merely coexist when at one point you were a significant part of each other's lives. how does that happen? how do friends grow apart?


I have had my share of growing apart. people whom I considered to be my best of friends are know merely people I knew. it's even more unsettling to think of the wonderful people that I know hold so near and dear to my heart could somehow also fade away into a distant memory.


I love cliches, especially if they are corny. one that I'm thinking of right now is:
people come into your life for a reason, a season or a lifetime. 
here's how I see it: nothing happens by chance; there are no coincidences. there is a reason for everything. blessed be the day that I met my former bff, because as crazy as it may be, she is the reason I met my new bff. had it not be the series of events that lead up to my presence at Harpo's on that cool, September night in 2006, who knows where I'd be. and that is just speaking to one of many friends I made through that dissipated relationship. First of all, we would not have even hung out had it not been for my ex and I breaking up. hard to believe, but I had no other friends outside of the tiny circle that was my life from 1999-2006. isn't that crazy? but again, there is always a purpose. the point is to find out why/what you need to take from a relationship and move on with those lessons learned. 


anyway, I feel like I have strategically picked the people in my life. I need to be surrounded by people who are like-minded, who will challenge me to be better than I am, who will hold me to the same standards they hold for themselves, who will tell me the truth and not what I want to hear, who are stronger, wiser and better than me. I need to be around people who are funny, light-hearted, smart, kind, open, generous, and most of all real. I want these people around for a lifetime. 


I am so blessed to have these people in my life: my friends who are the family I chose, and my family who didn't choose me. I thank you all for being present in my life. and to those distant memories, I thank you too. you have taught me how to be better, stronger, wiser and forgiving. I will never be jaded because I have too much love in my heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment